Training in Public Speaking
“Engaging the audience, transmitting ideas and inspiring emotions”
Most of the time when people think about presenting a product, their company or their knowledge, the first thing they do, is sit down and open power point (or keynote or prezi) and type away. They neither analyze their objectives nor their audience, they don’t know what their key message is or how they will open or close their talk. They fill slide by slide with their notes and think of it as their presentation that they then deliver reading out loud the projected slides..
Our public speaking courses focus on putting first things first: Forget about the media for a while, and start out with an analysis of your objectives and your audience. Then come up with a clear key message that you want to transmit and build your talk or presentation around that. Invest your time and effort in the content and delivery of your presentation. Connect with your audience, use your voice, storytelling and your body language to engage listeners. Drive your message home with a powerful closure!
Providing the participants with the necessary tools and skills to present/speak convincingly in public. After participating in this training, participants will be able to:
- Formulate clear goals for their presentations
- Analyze the audience, their previous knowledge and opinion
- Formulate clear key messages supported through structured argumentation
- Use their voice in an active and professional way
- Use their body language to underline their message
- Improve their overall verbal & non-verbal expression
- Use storytelling and metaphors to communicate emotions
- Interact & manage the attention of their audience
- Deal with difficult questions and people
- Manage time in their presentations
- Formulating SMART objectives
- Analyzing the audience
- Creating inspiring presentations: Storytelling & Metaphors
- Structure & presentation patterns
- Verbal expression: volume, speed, filler sounds & pauses
- Body language: posture, gestures, eye contact & facial expression
- Time management during presentations
- Dealing with anxiety and stress during presentations
- Media handling
- Managing the audience
Interactivity, active experience and learning by doing constitute the core methodology of this training. As a consequence, all participants will be asked to bring a 5min presentation to the training sessions which they will have to deliver live on stage. They will receive in-depth feedback on their performance from participants and trainer. In between presentations there will be short thematic inputs and practical exercises to reinforce the aspects mentioned above (see “Key Contents”).
Video analysis constitutes another important feature of this training: it enables participants to compare their own perception and the feedback they received for their performance to that of a neutral observer, enabling them to see themselves from an objective perspective and thus strengthening the learning progress.